4 WEEK COURSE
You’ve got the foundation, now we move into all 4 areas of nose work searches, exterior, interior, vehicle and container. We’ll take that awesome foundation and build, build, build a confident NW team! This class is for the team just coming out of the Foundation class or a team that needs to problem solve and gain confidence in their element searches.
Week 1: Containers
- Lecture 1: Containers, why can they be difficult? Strategies for training a dog that has a strong desire to search containers thoroughly.
- Training session 1: Assessment
- Lecture 2: Targeting the strengths and weakness of your dogs understanding. Training scenarios to build confidence and drive.
- Training session 2: Containers indoors, outdoors, high and low.
Week 2: Interiors
- Lecture 1: Starting your interiors and building a dog’s desire to start searching and cover the search area. What special considerations are there to searching interiors. What kind of hides to place to build confidence and not stress your dog.
- Training session 1: Interior search to build desire to start searching.
- Lecture 2: How big? How small? How high? How low? Training with a plan.
- Training session 2: Targeting the dogs needs when placing an interior hide.
Week 3: Exteriors
- Lecture 1: It’s a big world out there! Issues with introduction of odor outdoors. Addressing marking and training your dog to differentiate between potty time and search time.
- Training session 1: Exterior search that is targeted to build confidence and understanding that searching outside is fun and rewarding.
- Lecture 2: Elements, what elements? Why the elements are more in your mind than the dogs nose.
Week 4: Vehicles
- Lecture 1: Confidence building your dog’s vehicle searches. Vehicles equaling a win/win/win to the dog.
- Training session 1: More bang for your buck, getting some good training on vehicles done in a short time.
- Lecture 2: Placement of hides and leash handling skills can aid your training.
- Training session 2: Starting to work multiple vehicles and work through blank spaces/leash handling.